ITEST Project Strategy Share Meetup: Engaging Schools as Research Partners
In the fall of 2018 STELAR staff held a series of ‘virtual meetups’ with ITEST Community of Practice members to learn more about the work that projects have been engaged in and to uncover the challenges that projects have faced. The STELAR team reviewed the discussions for common themes, and identified three topic areas where examples of best-practices would benefit the community. These topics are:
- Engaging schools as research partners
- Sustaining your project beyond ITEST
- Developing STEM career competencies from K-12
We now invite ITEST project members to join STELAR as we host the next round of meetups. These informal online discussions are intended to capture experienced projects' perspectives on both "what’s worked" and the lessons learned in each topic area. Our goal for each of these meetings will be to produce an Idea Brief for dissemination to the broader ITEST community; serving both current ITEST projects and those considering submitting an ITEST proposal.
Please join us for the first of our Strategy Share Meetups!
Engaging schools as research partners: Thursday, May 16, 2-3 pm ET
Many ITEST projects conduct research within schools and have shared with STELAR that doing so is extremely challenging. During this Strategy Share Meetup we will discuss ITEST project strategies for creating and navigating successful research partnerships with schools by discussing the following themes:
- Buy-in: How to share the research plan with school administrators, educators, and parents such that they are excited to participate and engaged in the process
- Study design: How to inspire folks who are not engaged in the educative intervention to participate in the research as a comparison participant
- Logistics of data collection: How to collect extant data from schools and new data from teachers or students
Unable to join us on May 16th? Share your contribution with us offline and we will report it during the session, and include you in our followup activities. Email us at email@example.com to coordinate.
Projects that would like assistance navigating school research, but do not yet have information to contribute to the broader community, are encouraged to set up a separate time to meet with STELAR technical assistance staff.
Please note that this is an ITEST-Project only event, and will require a project log in order to register. If you do not know your password, request a new one here: http://stelar.edc.org/user/password
Not on stelar.org yet? Create an account: http://stelar.edc.org/request-stelar-account